This was my very first experience taking care of BOTH Oklahoma grandkids for the entire weekend, entirely by myself. Did I mention the word entire ?
During the sixty-eight hours their mom and dad were gone, several things have been duly noted:
1) A twenty-five-month old little boy does not stay still. (When he's quiet, you better find him, quickly.)
2) A six-year-old little girl talks all the time.
3) Giving a cup to two-year-old while he is taking a bath is not a good idea.
4) He either drinks it or pours it over the side of the tub.
5) Repeat #4
6) Reasoning with a six-year-old little girl is easier than with a two-year-old little boy.
7) Even though most of the grandkids call me Gammy, the two-year-old calls me MiMi.
8) I love that!
9) There is a learning curve with the language of a two-year-old.
10) For instance:
a) I nok
11) Many things are very, clearly said.
12) For instance:
a) MiMi, wait !
b) MiMi, wear-are-you ?
c) I twy, I happy, I fall, I mess, I wide, I run, I turn, I sar-wee, I see it, I do it, I dump (as he bounces up & down), etc.
d) MiMi ! Halp ! I tuck.
13) The security alarm is very loud at this house.
It's important to know the code-word when Guardian calls.
14) Even though Waylon is a sweet dog, I would never have a Jack Russell Terrorist.
15) A two-year-old can stick his fingers up your nose all the way to the sinus cavity.
16) Conversation with Little Miss P:
Me: I've laid my glasses down somewhere. If you see them, will you tell me ?
LMP: It's not my job to keep up with your stuff.
Me: **mouth gaping** I'm not asking you to keep up with them.
LMP: Well, YOU should keep up with them.
Me: Well, if you want to bake cupcakes, I'll need my glasses to see the directions.
Ya think she's heard this before ?
16) Toes are not always what they might seem .
(Hint: This word heard while changing diaper.)
17) When lying down by two-year-old, wear a helmet with face guard. (And nose plugs.)
18) Always pick up small toys off the floor before bedtime unless you want puncture wounds in the bottom of your feet.
19) Or, don't walk through a dark house barefooted.
20) The Mickey Mouse dance song, "Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggety Dog" has been stuck in my head for days now.
21) Hope that Mommy and Daddy plan another out-of-town-trip . . . and I have the opportunity to baby sit them again.
There are so, so many more, but this one for sure:
22) The handprints that are on the windows and doors will soon be 'windexed' away, but the handprints the two of them have left on my heart will be there forever !
The highlight of our weekend was when Leenie and Dexie came to visit !